17 August 2011

Screen Door



I was standing beside the screen door and I thought how easy it is for me just to scratch my way out of the apartment and explore the outside. I stepped outside once before. But the Master did not like it.

The master arrived carrying a lot of groceries. I gave him my usual hello “Meow” which he always thinks is a cry for food. I think he’s projecting. He’s always hungry when he gets home. He goes straight to the fridge getting a drink or something to eat. Sometimes Walter and I make bets on which food item he’ll go for first. Walter usually wins. He has a better grasp on the Master’s eating habits and the refrigerator’s inventory.

I think the Master was too caught up with the groceries that he left the big blue door open. The screen door was ajar and for the first time the outside plants were so excited to see me un-blurred by the metal screen. They were soo happy to see me in full color that they called me over for a hug. I got a few steps away from the blue door. The smells were so different form the inside. So much fresher and not everything smelled like the Master.

The pots smelled different, more earthy. I took a whiff of soil, it was moist and grainy. I also put my nose against Bethany and she smelled so nice- fresh, green, and I guess… planty!

The Master screamed at me. I never heard him so angry at me. He explained that once I cross the doorline I will turn into a stray cat and lose all my princely powers. He grabbed my by the back and carried me inside. He dropped me on Mr. Ben and I hid under him.

Later, Mr. Ben explained that since I was 7 days old I have lived inside and I would never survive in the big big world. Mr. Ben and Walter told me that unlike outside kitty cats I do not have the instincts to survive outside and if I lose my way I would not have the capacity to find my way back home. If that’s what princely powers are all about then I gladly abdicate them for a chance at seeing the outside.

I guess the Master was only concerned for my safety that’s why he screamed at me. But, how will I learn about the outside if I don’t go outside? How will I be able to find my way back home if I don’t actually leave home? What are Princely Powers anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment